The Timing Is Never Right


To build a good foundation for our marriage and to develop other areas of our lives Kev and I have committed to having one day during the week that is internet free. I have done 2 Sundays and Kev did his first fast yesterday. It has been very challenging, which I was surprised by, but I loved our Sunday together and the tangible absence of Kev's laptop with him staring at it. YAY! It also means that over the weekend I have come up with lots of creative business ideas and also lots of things to blog about!

Today my thoughts are around the timing of our dreams. I am reading a book called "The 4-Hour Work Week" by Timothy Ferriss. It is a real 'think outside the square' kinda book and it has some real pearls of wisdom. Here is an exerpt from the book that resonates with my thinking around this.

I once asked my mom how she decided when to have her first child, little ole' me. The answer was simple:"It was something we wanted, and we decided there was no point in putting it off. The timing is never right to have a baby." And so it is.
For all the most important things, the timing always sucks. Waiting for a good time to quit your job? The stars will never align and the traffic lights of life will never all be green at the same time. The universe doesn't conspire against you, but it doesn't go out of it's way to line up all the pins either. Conditions are never perfect. "Someday" is a disease that will take your dreams to the grave with you. Pro and con lists are just as bad. If it's important to you and you want to do it "eventually", just do it and correct course along the way.

Now, I do agree, it might sound a little risqué but that's where our brains come in (that's called wisdom) and of course there are always other people in our lives to consider. If you wait for the right time, you may never get there because something else will always step in it's way. Sometimes we just need to make a start and elicit a little change for the timing to alter and suddenly be right. Remember: they don't have to be huge, they can be created around the circumstance you find yourself in right now.

So I want to encourage you to take that big dream and do one thing now that will make a difference.

Here's two recent examples from my own life.
Problem: Want to get married + no savings = Lovely outdoor wedding and picnic reception, bridal outfit all thanks to Trade Me, Honeymoon Register for Wedding Gifts = Best thing we ever did, no regrets, lovely day, awesome trip to Australia, finally able to live with the love of my life, never been happier.

Problem: Uncomfortable bed + sore backs + scared of amount of money to part with + "just do it already!" = best decision made, good night sleeps, no sore backs, happy marriage, more productive at work.

I know I haven't shared my dreams yet but Kev and I have misplaced our paper with them all written down. So next post, I promise! I'd love to hear some of yours too. You never know who else might read this and can help you get there.

Tania


5 Responses
  1. Weza Says:

    My girl you are challenging me to the core! Muz and I have a 'meeting tonight' to discuss our future around work etc. We have decided that we will no longer let our financial circumstances to dictate our lives. It is our values that will set the course. Will let you know how we get on.
    PS i don't want to hear about timing... nor babies... hehe.


  2. I'm Betty Says:

    Love it Tans! awesome entry... I BET the new bed means "Happy marriage" aye *wink wink* :D
    Im diggin the idea of writing ur dreams down too, must go and ponder....


  3. Renee Says:

    Your layout is gorgeous! Sorry, just had to say it (; now on to your post! It was really lovely and that book sounds really good! My wedding was very "just do it" :p lol One of these days i will have to blog about it. I'm not sure if our current dreams will be tomorrows post or not. But It is something I want to share very soon so that my (hopefully I have 1 or 2) readers will understand why I have ads on my blog from the bet go. So watch for it! (:


  4. Tall Pipi Says:

    Thanks for the comments. Nice to know I am beginning to make a difference. Thanks for the encouragement. Nice to see some new names here...welcome Renee. I'd love to read your blog.


  5. Renee Says:

    Thanks for visiting me (: I went ahead and decided to follow your blog too :D Can't wait to see what you have to say in the future. :)